Took me a bit to post this blog because I wanted to first settle into a good routine where I could find time for everything we wanted to do. A lot of good changes are happing at the moment and we are really excited about them!
After vacationing in Puerto Rico and New York from August to September, I was ready to start again with our routine in Australia. Motivation, and probably a bit of jet lag, made it easy for us to start our days early! My favourite thing at the moment is waking up every day at 5:00am in the morning, with no alarm, energised, well rested and ready to start the day with the sun. An earlier bed time is also helpful. I go to sleep at 7:00pm – 7:30pm and have early dinner, which in turns facilitates digestion and I am never bloated or exhausted when I get up in the morning.
I absolutely love getting up with the sun. Our ancestors used to make the most of the sunlight and I agree it is the best way to have a productive day even before 9:00am!
Waking up early has many benefits. I personally find:
- More energy during the day.
- Inspiration to cook a ‘proper’ breakfast, lunch and dinner (and prepare snacks for the day, or week!).
- Time to exercise before our toddler wakes up and walk more than 4 miles/8 kilometers a day.
- Getting so many things done even before 9am and being able to just enjoy the rest of the day.
- Finally able to read the book I wanted to read, write, organise my diary, work, and join as a volunteer to a greater cause! (Before I thought I didn’t have time for it).
- Time to meditate, visualize and do yoga.
- Better memory, retention and more organized…
- Great mood, more optimistic (if that was even possible, haha!), generally happy with life!
Wow… All this because I woke up earlier? Thanks sun!
Here is what our schedule looks like at the moment:
9:00am-10:00am Sienna Playtime or nap (she is cutting down this nap now)
1:00pm Sienna Nap time (If her first nap was less than 1 hour or if she didn’t take her first nap, she will sleep for 2 hours now)
Here are the benefits I have seen in my 1 year old:
- Earlier naps and earlier bedtime.
- It helps set her body clock. Feeling energized in the morning and tired at night.
- She gets to have more outside time (which she loves!) which means: higher understanding of nature, compassion for other beings, awareness of things around her, heightened senses.
- Developing healthy habits, etc!
We love waking up early and seeing how our lives unfold. Everything comes together with the extra time in the morning we were missing before by sleeping in!
For more information about routines and their benefits, check out this Australian website. You can also get inspiration for routines depending on the age group of your kids there.
Happy and Warm wishes!